Bittersweet USA/AFRICA

I'm missing my husband today. Yesterday, he embarqued on a journey to Africa. Ghana to be exact. It's his first time to travel there, and I am very excited for him.

At first, my thoughts of this trip were along the lines of, "What are we going to do without him here? How will I be able to manage being a single mom of sorts while he's gone? I'm not going to sleep well. I'll be exhausted." etc. Looking back at each of those comments, what I notice is selfishness. I was completely consumed with ME! "Poor, pititful me" BOO HOO! Call the "Waaaambulance". Seriously. That's what was running through my mind.

Then, I realized that my routine is going to be basically the same. I'll eat foods I like...and know what they are. I'll sleep in my own bed, have running water...hot and cold. I'll have safe water to drink. I'll see a mosquito and not worry about malaria. I'll kiss my kids every night and morning. I'll drive in a comfortable car with air conditioning.

Randy has been getting shots for the past few weeks in preparation. He started taking medicine to prevent malaria and is making sure he doesn't forget to take it! He had to pack for ten days worth of travel in a medium sized suitcase. In trying to avoid getting the water there on his face (something they were warned to do), he has purchased special shampoo, soaps, cleansing wipes, and a shaver. Yes, I know he's a bit of a germaphobe, but I think we would all heed those warnings.

Once, I realized my selfishness, my prayers changed. The bittersweet part of all of this is that I do miss him already...it's been only 19 hours since I last saw him. I'm sad that he's going to be gone until the 30th. However, I am also jealous. I'm jealous that I don't get to go Africa right now. I'm jealous that I don't get to go love on people...again I'm sounding selfish but keep reading. I am unbelievably excited to see how God is going to use Randy and the team to minister to those wonderful people. I'm excited to see how God is going to use those people to minister to Randy and the team. I can only imagine what God has in store for the hearts of our team and how they will be changed.

Our first night and morning at home went fine. The kids got in bed later than they should have. I stayed up WAY TOO late...I was still wide awake at 1:30 and woke up at 5:50, but that's okay. We were still later getting to school than we needed to (she wasn't tardy). But our schedule is fine.

The sweetest part of this is my excitement for their return. I will be so glad he's home, but I think my anticipation of how God is going to work in Randy, in us here at home, and how all of this is going to impact the future of our family is growing with each passing moment. I just cannot express how very excited I am!!

Do you know what it's like to get excited in anticipation of what God is going to do? That's where I am right now. I feel like I have butterflies in my stomach I'm so excited just thinking about it right now =)

God, You are AWESOME!! You are in control! Thank YOU!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Funny bedtime

Where is your focus today?

Daddy/Daughter Day